If you are a frequent Twitter user, you might want to learn how to get it to stop suggesting topics. Twitter is a social platform that brings together communities and people with similar interests.
People in these communities come to share their ideas, thoughts, and information in short posts called tweets.
As you continue to use this platform, you might notice that you get many topic suggestions you are not interested in, which might be annoying.
We’ll take you through all you need to know to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics. Let’s get started.
So, How Do You Get Twitter To Stop Suggesting Topics?
- Step 1: Go to your profile menu and click settings and privacy.
- Step 2: Head to privacy and settings.
- Step 3: On the data sharing and off-twitter activity, click on Ad preferences to look at your Twitter data.
- Step 4: Enter your login credentials and tap Interest and ads data from your Twitter data screen.
- Step 5: Click Interest from Twitter and unselect all the Interests you want to opt-out from.
- Step 6: Select topics on your profile icon menu
It is important to note that it might be difficult to disable all the suggested topics on Twitter. However, you can minimize them using the steps above.
What Influences Twitter To Suggest Topics?
Twitter will display suggested topics and interests per the content that looks relevant to you. It is one of the strategies that Twitter uses to understand you better and what you like.
If they know what you like better, it will be easier for them to customize your experience on Twitter. That’s why it is so hard to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics completely.
Twitter desires to satisfy your interaction on the platform so that you can spend more time and attention on it. Here are a few factors that influence twitter to suggest topics, and they include:
1. People Who Have Interacted With A Post
Twitter will allow you to follow some people who are actively tweeting stuff. Twitter also tries to link you and your friends as you mostly tweet and like topics that are quite similar.
If your friends suddenly start to interact with posts other than usual, then Twitter might suggest you check out those topics.
2. Your Recent Tweet Engagement
Suppose you have been tweeting and liking some posts about supercars; then Twitter would then recommend some other supercars to you.
Twitter might suggest topics based on the area you are in at the moment. It will suggest that you check out some of the topics people around your area are showing interest in.
If the people around your area are talking about electric cars, then Twitter will suggest that topic to you.
Volume on twitter refers to how much people are tweeting, re-tweeting, liking, and replying to specific tweets about a topic.
Twitter is interested in making conversations last longer on the platform. If many people are interacting about a topic, they may want to suggest that to you.
They hope to see if you have the same interest in the topics your friends are tweeting about.
Other Ways To Get Twitter To Stop Suggesting New Topics
Even if it might be impossible to get Twitter to stop suggesting new topics, there are some tricks you could perform to reduce it.
5. Do Away With All Push Notifications
Push notifications come with a lot of tweets and suggestions that you do want to associate with. Moreover, push notifications will motivate twitter to keep suggesting topics to you.
Anyway, here is a way you can do away with them:
- Step 1: Head to settings and privacy and hit notifications
- Step 2: Choose push notifications on the preferences section
- Step 3: Click the button next to the push notification, and you will have successfully disabled them all.
6. Advanced Filters
Advanced filters are to help you stay away from low-quality and unoriginal content. To use it, you’ll have to go to the notifications center and click on advanced.
Advanced filters might not help you get rid of suggested topics, but they will filter out your tweets and profiles of annoying people.
7. Twitter Data
You can make specific changes to your Twitter data to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics. These changes will not take effect immediately, but with time you might see a reduction in the suggested topics. It is one of the effective ways to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics.
Here is how you can tweak your Twitter data.
- Step 1: Head to privacy and settings
- Step 2: Select your twitter data from your data permissions
- Step 3: Tap on Interest and ads data. You will get three options: inferred Interest from partners, tailored audience, and Interest from Twitter.
- Step 4: Tap on each option and make changes to the accumulated data.
8. Use Muted Words Trick
- Step 1: Head to Twitter and tap your profile icon.
- Step 2: Choose Settings and Privacy and hit privacy and safety
- Step 3: Head down to muted words under safety
- Step 4: Add a phrase or keyword to help eliminate suggested topics.
As noted before, muting this keyword does not guarantee that your tweeter will stop suggesting topics. However, it will put an improvement on your campaigns towards it.
- How Can You Follow A Topic You Like On Twitter?
Even if you do not like most of the topics twitter suggests, there is still a way to improve your Twitter experience.
Following topics you like and engaging in conversations on those topics is a great way to start. It will reduce the number of pointless topics and suggestions Twitter sends you and make your experience wonderful.
There are two ways to follow topics you like on Twitter: through the topics menu or home timeline. Let’s take a look at each one of them.
9. Following Topics Through The Topics Menu
- Step 1: click on the More Icon (three dots on the side of your device) and select the topic’s option.
- Step 2: A list will appear where you can select the topics you like
There will also be other topics you have followed in the past. You can add more topics or even remove the ones you aren’t interested in.
10. From Your Home TimeLine
- Step 1: When you scroll through your home timeline, Twitter might suggest topics to follow.
- Step 2: Click on the topics suggested to follow.
Sometimes twitter’s suggestions are annoying, and you prefer to avoid following any topic they suggest.
How To Disengage Your Twitter Account From Certain Interest
Twitter learns from your activities, and the topic suggestions it points out to you will resemble your previous account activity.
If you are not interested in certain topic suggestions, you could always disengage from certain interests related to them.
It will help twitter learn that you are not interested in what they are suggesting, and they will stop. To disengage from certain interests on Twitter, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Head to settings and privacy found in your profile icon’s menu
- Step 2: Select privacy and safety
- Step 3: Click on Ad preference below the data sharing and off-twitter activities. Here you will see all your Twitter data.
- Step 4: From that screen, select interests and ads data
- Step 5: Select Interest on twitter and choose the InterestInterest you are no longer interested in.
How To Stop Twitter From Featuring you On A topic
Stopping Twitter from featuring on certain topics can also help stop it from suggesting topics you don’t want to follow. To stop Twitter from featuring you on a topic:
- Step 1: Head to Interest from Twitter that’s in your Twitter data
- Step 2: Select the known tab
- Step 3: Remove all the topics you do not want Twitter to feature you in.
How Can You See The Topics One Follows On Twitter
Sometimes you might be interested in knowing the topics some of your friends follow on Twitter. Follow these steps to see the topics one follows on Twitter:
- Step 1: Head to their profile
- Step 2: Select the More icon at the top of the profile page.
- Step 3: Click on view topics
Why Is It Hard To Get Twitter To Stop Suggesting Topics
Topic suggestions are there to improve the user experience on Twitter according to their preferences. Every user on Twitter will often get one or more suggestions depending on their Twitter activity.
Topic suggestions are sometimes related to sponsored tweets, which implies that someone has paid Twitter to promote their tweets.
Some are part of advertisement campaigns for people who like certain topics on Twitter. Advertisement is one of the major sources of revenue for Twitter.
In addition, a large percentage of the user also click on the topic suggestions that Twitter displays for them. It implies that many people benefit from it more than those who are annoyed by it.
Suggested topics are also a way for Twitter to help people join new communities and extend their communications on Twitter. It is why it is so hard to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics.
Now you know how to get Twitter to stop suggesting topics. Remember that this suggestion is a big part of how Twitter builds an audience on various topics. Therefore, even if you get rid of them, they will only disappear for a while.
Twitter’s topic suggestion might be due to your recent activities in the platform, location, and volume of tweets.
Since you cannot completely stop Twitter from suggesting topics, why not just ignore them in the first place?