Job Description and Responsibilities
The Chief Broadcast Engineer position is a full-time professional/managerial position. This employee needs to understand and work with a modern computerized infrastructure; responsible for planning of systems, equipment selection, installation, operation, and maintenance of all sophisticated electronic equipment associated with a broadcast television station; and ensures rapidly changing technology supports the mission of the Company. The job requires varied shifts including nights, weekends, and being on-call.
The employee needs to maintain and operate broadcasting equipment, microwave relay sites, towers, generators, satellite uplink and receive systems, signal distribution, routing systems, processing systems, archive, TCP/IP networks, monitoring devices, automation systems, camera systems, production switchers, playout servers, graphics devices, lighting systems, audio consoles, microphones, and IFB etc. Works closely with Traffic, Master Control and Production personnel in addition to providing technical support for productions and special events.
Preferred Minimum Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree and minimum ten (10) years of experience in broadcast engineering at a broadcast, video production or cable television facility, performing hands on work on productions and live events, maintaining and updating infrastructure.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing projects including part-time and contract staff with demonstrated ability to improve performance, output and quality.
- Candidate must be capable of performing maintenance and expediting repairs on all electronic and mechanical equipment in the broadcast facilities.
- Proficient IT skills related to modern automation, encoding, and video play out systems.
- Proficient in IT switching, routing, server virtualization, and network management.
- Solid understanding of ATSC Transport Streams and related technology.
- Knowledgeable of FCC Broadcast rules and regulations.
- Proven ability to successfully plan, coordinate , and execute tactically and strategically on projects.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills including outstanding communication skills both verbal and written.
Our Chief Engineer will demonstrate ability to adjust to competing demands from multiple directions, and balance shifting priorities across a range of stakeholder groups.
The candidate must have demonstrated ability to manage through difficult and stressful situations, work under deadline pressure and have proven superior problem-solving skills for simple as well as complex issues that may arise.
License Requirements & Preferred Certifications
- Applicants must possess a valid Florida Driver License and maintain good DMV record in order to operate a vehicle.
- Society of Broadcast Engineers certification, CISCO CCNA or equivalent network training.
- FCC First or General Class license.
- Excellent computer skills and good understanding of IP based LAN, WAN and Internet based systems.
- Familiarity with MS Office, Visio and/or other drafting software.
Ability to climb ladders when necessary, to safely operate vehicles. The right candidate will operate light office equipment and computer workstation. Requires ability to perform repetitive movement of hands, wrists and fingers for use of keyboard and the opening/closing of drawers. May involve the ability to be seated for extended lengths of time, including lengthy exposure to computer screens. Incidental bending, stooping, reaching, and infrequently lifting to a maximum of 75lbs. May require ability to travel to other locations.
Employees are team members and expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the Black News Channel, LLC (BNC), or executive leadership’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All Staff Members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and/or internal concerns to the attention of the Black News Channel, LLC’s General Manager or Director of Human Resources.
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.